Phase 1: GPBA worked with neighbor restaurateur Danny Meyer
Week of September 11, 2001
Working with neighbor restaurateur Danny Meyer, we organized community volunteers to deliver meals cooked by Meyer's staff to Chelsea Piers Triage Center, Washington Irving Relief Center, Lexington Avenue Armory site for families, St. Vincent's Hospital, Police Academy cadets and instructors and the 13th and 10th Precincts.
Phase 2: GPBA organized round-the-clock relief effort at 13th Pct
September 12 to mid-December 2001
Organized round-the-clock community relief effort at 13th Precinct Command Center by residents, area merchants, restaurants and hotels to prepare and serve meals, provide shelter and distribute critical supplies to police, fire, emergency and other support units. This also included the Medical Examiner's Office, Coroner's Office, Pier 94 families and Cabrini Hospital Center medical technicians, as well as visiting National Guard members, and volunteers from around the country who came to assist the workers at Ground Zero
Phase 3: GPBA organized community WTC programs
November 2001 to September 2002
- Community partnership with the Olive Leaf Wholeness Center to cook meals and for relief workers to shower, sleep, receive health services, receive counseling, obtain essential supplies.
- Visiting program to Command Center by neighborhood children who baked cookies for officers, and helped decorate precinct walls with letters, cards, pictures and support banners.
- "Neighbors Helping Neighbors" benefit to support families of local NYPD officers who lost their lives at WTC.
- "Kids Helping Kids" project - nationwide effort for children across the country to reach out to children of officers lost on 9/11.
- Presentation of photographs to the 13th Precinct "NYPD - You Make Us Proud", permanent 4ft x 8ft installation showing our community's love and support
- Thanksgiving dinner for officers of Emergency Service Squad No. 1.
- Prayer vigil and candlelight procession from Calvary Church to Brotherhood Synagogue.
- Holiday Toy Drive for children of local officers lost at the World Trade Center.
- Christmas caroling, tree trimming visit by neighborhood children 13th Precinct, ESU
- "Thank You" event to pay tribute to officers of 13th Precinct and ESU.
- Video project for kids of 14 ESU officers lost at WTC - memories from fellow squad members
- WTC outdoor concert to honor those lost on 9/11 and pay tribute to Police, ESU officers, Emergency Medical Technicians, Firefighters and other rescue workers.
- WTC Remembrance Ceremony and breakfast with officers of 13th Precinct and ESU, and the community, at the Precinct on the anniversary of the WTC attack.
Phase 4: GPBA's Ongoing Support for Local First Responders
Mid-December 2002 to present
We continue to support the ESU, 13th Precinct, and other local first responders, who worked grueling shifts during the 8 1/2 month recovery effort in addition to regular duties. We organize annual events, holiday parties, and other programs to honor them for their service.